The new building insulation system can be divided into the following compartments:
- Structural frame + BioFib insulation.
- OSB3 panels
- Intello Proclima
- Timber battens (service void) + BioFib insulation material
- CSB panels
- Clay plaster
- ISOBIO rigid panels
- Hemp lime render
These are all sandwiched together to form the new building’s panel. It can be constructed in the following order:
- The wood studs are joined together using screws to form a structural frame with a 600mm interaxial distance between profiles. The height of the frame can be adjustable to the structure dimensions and the void is filled with BioFib Trio insulation material.
- After, OSB3 panels are fixed to the frame using nails or screws and a Intello Proclima membrane is attached to OSB3 panels using staples.
- Timber battens are added on above it using screws. They are installed horizontally again vertical disposition of the structural frame. A BioFib Trio insulation material fills the void between timber battens.
- The last layer from the interior side is formed by CSB panels, which are fixed on top followed by the clay plaster. This plaster is made out of earthen clay, hemp powder, pumice and sand.
- Flipping over the entire board, ISOBIO rigid panels (made out of commercial hemp and a thermosetting bio-based binder) are added on top of as the last external panel using screws. Finally they are followed by a hemp lime render which is the exterior finishing of the new building system.
The overall structure allows an even distribution with regards to the load-bearing capacity of the panel. The frame provides structural resistance to the whole system while maintaining the final structure as a single unit when the rest of the layers are added.
The OSB3 panel has an acoustic isolation similar to the wooden frame. It also has a low humidity content and low thermal conductivity. The BioFib Trio insulation is a material composed of hemp, flax, cotton fibers and thermoplastic fibers. Both the OSB3 panel and BioFib trio insulation materials provide high thermal insulation, thus providing comfort for residents during cold or hot seasons.
Another insulating material such as the Proclima intello membrane is used as a vapour check and airtightness barrier that prevents structural damage and mould formation in the system due to its high diffusion capacity. It is also non-toxic in nature, just like the other materials used to build this wall panel.
The CSB panels, which also increase the thermal insulation of the system, act as a moisture buffering layer while possessing while providing mechanical stability to the panel’s overall structure. The addition of the Clay plaster, as interior finishing layer, reinforced this property and added fire resistance properties to the system.
From the external side the combination of the ISOBIO rigid panel and the Hemp lime render acts as a fire retardant and improves hygrothermal properties, such as water repellency, protecting the system from the environmental effects and thus further preventing mould formation.
The overall panels for the new building are highly insulated, thus allowing rooms to be thermally stable during summer, winter or when the temperature outside abruptly changes. In addition, these panels are highly resistant to mould formation as they are highly diffusive in the presence of moisture. All these allow the houses to be breathable and energy efficient while providing optimal comfort for the residents once installed.